Home » Infrastructure » Linux » Oracle DBs Migration Windows to Linux
Oracle DBs Migration Windows to Linux [message #420042] Wed, 26 August 2009 12:48 Go to next message
maumercado
Hello Everyone...

My first post here, hope you can help me out with this...

Ive been pushing the migration to linux servers in the company I work for, and I ve found that we hold our Oracle databases in Windows XP 32 bit system, and I want to migrate them to a Oracle Linux Enterprise 64 bit system, is there anyone with experience here that can point me to the right direction??

Is it a simple export/import of databases?
Must I Export/Import with special parameters?
In order to use the database in 64 bit is there something that I must do after the migration?
Should I use CentOS or ORacle Linux is fine?

Thank you...
Re: Oracle DBs Migration Windows to Linux [message #420044 is a reply to message #420042] Wed, 26 August 2009 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Post the version of oracle you are using.
Database size and affordable downtime plays an important role here.
If the volume of data is small (which raises the question, how small is small?),
Simple export and import will work.
If it is huge and using 10g and above, use RMAN cross platform migration techniques (if applicable. Check the endians).
In case of 11g, you can just create a standby database in linux and just switchover. Very minimal downtime.

[Updated on: Wed, 26 August 2009 13:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle DBs Migration Windows to Linux [message #420049 is a reply to message #420044] Wed, 26 August 2009 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maumercado
Current databases are installed using oracle 10g 10.2 so as stated before I want to migrate to 11g 11.1

We have used import/export before with our databases to move them to other servers with same OS and Oracle version.

There are several databases so the size varies between 6GB and 40GB.
Downtime is an important role.

So simple export/import should do or rman method is better?
After importing the database shoul I do something else to get the database to recognize the 64 bit OS?
Re: Oracle DBs Migration Windows to Linux [message #420051 is a reply to message #420049] Wed, 26 August 2009 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>After importing the database shoul I do something else to get the database to recognize the 64 bit OS?
Actually,
You first install the database and import the objects and data.
So, nothing need to be done.
In my book, 40gb is minuscule.
>>So simple export/import should do or rman method is better?
Exp/Imp is easy. More manual. You just pre-create the users and tablespaces and import.
RMAN is easy too (if the endians are same). Only you need to understand more.

It is upto you.
Re: Oracle DBs Migration Windows to Linux [message #420053 is a reply to message #420051] Wed, 26 August 2009 14:33 Go to previous message
maumercado
Thank you Mahesh, Im going to do an export/import, but I got a feeling Ill have to learn rman eventually... seems better...
Previous Topic: Using Webutil on my Linux application server Form is getting "Hang"
Next Topic: Trouble with restore to another oracle instance (rman - tsm) OS - authentication problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:08:31 CDT 2024