Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S?
How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #165553] Thu, 30 March 2006 22:25 Go to next message
rangerjee

Hi,

I am a beginner on Oracle forms. I am planning to develop a form application. My O/S is Windows XP.

Regarding this I would like to ask the following points, because this will help me a lot during the placement of .fmb file and it’s generated several sub files (SQL Scripts, .bat files etc) which can be generated by form’s internal utilities in order to perform several O/S tasks as well as form level task:

1. Where should we place the .fmb file and its generated sub scripts or files to the client machine, so the client can’t see or open these sub files which will be created during runtime?
Should I place these entire .fmb file and its generated sub scripts/files to folder C:\ .

2. Is there an option available in forms through which I can Place all the related files and scripts in a hidden place/default place on O/S (Windows XP) so client can’t be open or see these files?

Please give your opinion with an example.

Thanks

Ranger
Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #166025 is a reply to message #165553] Tue, 04 April 2006 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I consider that the PC is a single user environment. The person running the application owns everything that it does therefore trying to hide something from yourself seems counter-intuitive.

About hiding runtime files. Use the directory pointed to by the system variable 'TEMP' or 'TMP' and delete them as soon as you have finished with them. For storing then consider using the database itself. You can encrypt your data or use a simple algorithm to 'scramble' the letters. You can also hide the code associated with PL/SQL packages when you load them.

David

[Updated on: Mon, 10 April 2006 02:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #166589 is a reply to message #166025] Fri, 07 April 2006 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rangerjee
No Message Body
Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #166854 is a reply to message #166025] Mon, 10 April 2006 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rangerjee
Form 6i is the tool XP is the O/S. ABout hiding the run times files SHould I add a registry parameter which points to the temp directory on C:/ where the run time files store temporarily.
Would you give an example?

Sincerely yours

Rangerjee
Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #166881 is a reply to message #166854] Mon, 10 April 2006 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Look at your system environment variables (use XP help if you don't know where that is) as 'TEMP' or 'TMP' MUST point to an area to which the user has read-write access before Forms is able to do any work.

David
Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #167063 is a reply to message #166881] Tue, 11 April 2006 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rangerjee
As far as I got ur point, I set the O/S runtime files in form's code to the value which is set in the environment variable, for example: I set it to the C:\temp in the environment variable as well as in my form's code I also set it to the C:\temp, so next time all the run time files generate in this folder.
Is it right?

Rangerjee
Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #167206 is a reply to message #167063] Tue, 11 April 2006 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Ranger,

Use WebUtil with the D2Kwutil facility 'Get_Environment_String' to get the name of the directory to which 'TMP' or 'TEMP' are pointing. Get webutil and d2kwutil from http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/forms/htdocs/webutil/webutil.htm

David
Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #167219 is a reply to message #167206] Tue, 11 April 2006 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rangerjee
Good Morning,

For your information I am using form 6i.
Would you please give a sample, which can be useful for me to implement on form 6i.

Rangerjee
Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #167220 is a reply to message #167219] Tue, 11 April 2006 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Download the d2kwutil code, it contains a demonstration FMB. Install it, run it.

David
Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #167247 is a reply to message #165553] Wed, 12 April 2006 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rangerjee
David

How should I download d2kwutil code?
I open the following address but not be able to find d2kwutil code.
SHould I also install something else in order to run this on my forms6i.
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/forms/htdocs/webutil/webutil.htm

Please reply.

Rangerjee
Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #167253 is a reply to message #167247] Wed, 12 April 2006 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
On that web page under 'downloads' select 'Oracle Forms 10g WebUtil Production Release" from there, 'd2kwutil' is towards the bottom one third of the page.

David
Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #167260 is a reply to message #167253] Wed, 12 April 2006 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rangerjee
Sorry I didn't find the 'Oracle Forms 10g WebUtil Production Release' under download.

Rangerjee
Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #167264 is a reply to message #167260] Wed, 12 April 2006 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
David
Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #167265 is a reply to message #167260] Wed, 12 April 2006 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Look here at the page:

[edit]screen cap removed, David was faster Wink

MHE

[Updated on: Wed, 12 April 2006 03:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #167268 is a reply to message #167260] Wed, 12 April 2006 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rangerjee
Thanks David I got it now.
I would refresh this that "where should I generate the runtime files of .fmx/.fmb". Now what should I do?

Wouldn't we see the code of this .fmb which I just downloaded.

Ranger
Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #167440 is a reply to message #167268] Thu, 13 April 2006 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Run the demo, look at the demo, review the code used by the demo, use the code that gets the information from the environment variable in YOUR form.

David
Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #167795 is a reply to message #167440] Mon, 17 April 2006 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rangerjee
Hi,

Why would we define a value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE parameter for an application built in Oracle forms 6i?

Should we define a name of directory to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE parameter in which all our .fmb/.fmx files reside with runtime generated files?

If I keep all the .fmx/.fmb files along with several runtime generated files in a folder on C\Inventory, should we also define this in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE parameter?

Please have a reply about this because understanding this will assist me.

Also what is API and how should we implement it in our forms 6i related application.
I have seen this API in d2kwutil_6_0_6_0, the API screen comes first when we run the waipdemo.fmb file.

Should I use it easily in my form application if Yes how should I implement it in forms?

Ranger
Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #167959 is a reply to message #167795] Tue, 18 April 2006 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
rangerjee wrote on Mon, 17 April 2006 17:58

1. Why would we define a value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE parameter for an application built in Oracle forms 6i?

2. Should we define a name of directory to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE parameter in which all our .fmb/.fmx files reside with runtime generated files?

3. If I keep all the .fmx/.fmb files along with several runtime generated files in a folder on C\Inventory, should we also define this in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE parameter?

4. Also what is API and how should we implement it in our forms 6i related application. I have seen this API in d2kwutil_6_0_6_0, the API screen comes first when we run the waipdemo.fmb file.

5. Should I use it easily in my form application if Yes how should I implement it in forms?

1. All developers should define the location in which they are doing their development at the beginning of the FORSMnn_PATH entry. This is so that the Forms builder knows where to find the various menus and libraries that you may attach to a Form, and where Forms called by your Form reside.

2. see #1

3. same thing see #2 and #1

4. API is an 'Application Programming Interface' see Wiki

5. Read the pdf guide and it explains how to attach the API to your form, and open and read the demo form in your form builder to see how the Oracle Developers have used the various facilities in the demo form. Take the bits you need and add them to your form.

David
Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #168137 is a reply to message #167959] Wed, 19 April 2006 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rangerjee

Dear David

Regarding what I wanted mainly in this post Should I add the value FORSMnn_PATH in the registry which points to the directory where all my files resides. For Example:

FORSMnn_PATH = C:\inventory\inventory.fmb

If this is not right plz correct it to the right one and inform me.

Thanks

Ranger
Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #168148 is a reply to message #168137] Wed, 19 April 2006 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Have you looked in your registry to see what is in the FORMSnn_PATH now?

David
Re: How and where should we place .fmb files and its generated scripts/files on O/S? [message #686382 is a reply to message #165553] Tue, 23 August 2022 07:02 Go to previous message
ayah23
hi!
i saw your issue and i tought maybe you could help me !
am a beginner in oracle too, and am still stuck at the configuration of the forms, in the step where i should change the FORMS_PATH
i created a new directory "C:/applications" where i should put my ".fmx",".fmm" files , and i didn't understand what files should i copy there (applications directory) as i googled my issue i saw some of them are downlaoding a certain libraries ?
my question is: what files should i put in the directory "C:/applications" ?
Previous Topic: Files generated on server with sufix
Next Topic: Copy time to another field
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:34:31 CDT 2024